Green Eyes: Metuchen Looking for Ways to Use Less and Save More

| 1 Comment

The Environmental Commission has arranged for the NJ Office of Clean Energy to present information on its Local Government Energy Audit program to the Borough Council for consideration tonight.

 

Under the direction of council member Will Waldron and with Council approval, the Borough hopes to take advantage of this state program, which helps municipalities effectively manage energy use by subsidizing the cost of an energy audit.  With cost-justified energy efficiency measures identified and implemented, further savings are realized, the Borough does its part in contributing to energy independence, and the community-at-large benefits from the lessons learned.

According to Councilman Waldron, "It's been estimated that we could save up to 30% of our current annual energy expenses.  We can help the environment by reducing our carbon footprint and we can help to reduce the tax burden." He advised that there will certainly be a cost to the Borough associated with implementing the strategies, but we should not be financially shortsighted and should look at the long term benefits.  Buildings slated for participation in the energy audit are Borough Hall, the Senior Center, Department of Public Works, the library, and the firehouse.  The Board of Education is currently participating in the program for all of its buildings as well.

 

The Borough will first select an auditing firm from a list of those approved by the state.  We will have six months to complete the audit to receive our first reimbursement from the state - 75% of the expense of the audit.  If the Borough elects to implement the cost savings initiatives identified, the program will reimburse Metuchen the remaining 25% of the cost of the audit; to the extent it exceeds the cost of the "repairs."   In other words, we get the audit performed for free if we spend more than the remaining 25% on repairs. Implementation of audit findings is the responsibility of the municipality. 

 

The next Environmental Commission meeting is Wednesday, November 19 at Borough Hall, 7:30 pm.  All are welcome to attend. The council wants to hear from the citizenry on this issue.  If you have energy savings ideas that you think should be considered, please either come to the meeting or email Will Waldron at WillWaldron727@gmail.com.

1 Comment

Great idea - the library is always freezing in the summer and a sauna in the winter!

Leave a comment


Recent Comments

  • Anonymous: Great idea - the library is always freezing in the read more

Monthly Archives

Powered by Movable Type 4.21-en
/