Metuchen Edison Historical Society Discovers Piscatawaytown Sept. 17

| No Comments

The Metuchen-Edison Historical Society invites the public to a program about
our recent research into the history of Piscatawaytown, and the Commons.
 This program is free, and open to the public on Saturday September 17, 2011 3:00pm to 5:00pm at St.
James Church, 2136 Woodbridge Ave. Edison. Parking is available behind the
 Church.

 In 2010 the Metuchen-Edison Historical Society received a grant from the
 Middlesex County Cultural and Heritage Commission to do a metal detector 
search for artifacts relating to the establishment of the Commons.

Historian Michael Gall, and Society members Walter Stochel, and Jim Halsey
will present the the history of Piscatawaytown, and inform attendants about the recent 
archeological investigation of the Commons.  Artifacts from the
investigation will be displayed.  Afterward, a walking tour of the Commons
and Burial Ground will take interested parties to 

Piscatawaytown, located around the intersection of Plainfield and Woodbridge 
Aves. One of the oldest neighborhoods in Edison, dating from the 17th century, This was the main settlement of the Township 
during the Colonial era.
The Commons behind St. James Church was established in the 1690's and is the
 oldest public park in Middlesex County.





Leave a comment


Monthly Archives

Powered by Movable Type 4.21-en
/